Want to join staff or volunteer for Furlandia?
We are always in great need of more staff! Here you’ll find details on what to expect, what we expect, some specific things we really need, and when our meetings are.
Why join staff?
If you work enough, you earn free membership for next year? Yeah sure, but for a lot of us it’s much more than that. It can be a lot of fun! For those who really get involved you feel like you are part of something big, along with the rest of your con staff family. You get a big sense of satisfaction once such a big undertaking comes together. Nothing quite like it! This is why we do it year after year.
It takes a massive amount of combined effort and talent to make a convention happen each year, and without dedicated people behind the scenes it could never happen, so every staffer or volunteer is important to us. Being a small convention, everyone has a ton of room to grow, and every person has a major impact. This is your chance to make the changes you want to see.
There are some who don’t believe the Portland community can maintain a convention. They don’t believe enough people are willing or capable of getting involved. We don’t believe that, so come volunteer for us and help us prove our mettle.
If you are considering staff
- Experience is not necessary!
- We want you to have an enjoyable experience.
- We ask for you to give your best, just as you should expect our best. If you commit, commit.
- We want you to be invested in what you are doing with us. We want you involved before, during, and after the convention. If the only time you have available to volunteer is at the convention we would love to have your assistance as well.
- Try to attend meetings. This isn’t possible for everyone, and some staff may be remote which is fine. Not being able to attend meetings should not stop you from joining.
- This can be a ton of fun, but it’s not always easy. We try to make sure everyone enjoys what they do, but don’t forget we are there to do a job. We are also always available to help.
- You can impact what Furlandia becomes! There is no better way to have your ideas heard.
How to Join Staff or Volunteer
If you are interested in volunteering or joining staff, or if you have questions, you can:
- Click the “Volunteer Signup” button at the top of this page, and fill out the questionnaire.
- Come to a Staff Meeting. We are happy to answer questions and find a good fit for you.
- We also accept day-of volunteers during the convention, just visit Con Ops to get set up.
- Further questions? Email Staffing@Furlandia.org
We are looking to fill the following positions:
- Charity and Auctions Event Coordinator
- Charity and Auctions Event Coordinator Assistant
- Conbook Assistant
- Gaming Staff
- Logistics and Facilities Staff
- Programming Track Assistants
- Prop Shop Staff
- Security Staff
- Staffing Coordinator
- Staffing Coordinator Assistant
- Theatre Staff
Attendance at meetings is optional for most staff, but if you'd like to join us our anticipated meeting dates are listed below, and are typically on Sundays from 1:00pm to 4:00pm, although days, times, and location are subject to change. If you are unable to make it to the meetings but would like to be kept informed email us at Chair@Furlandia.org.
Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel
8235 NE Airport Way
Portland, Oregon 97220
September 27th October 25th November 22nd December 20th January 17th February 13th February 27th March 13th April 10th April 24th May 8th
- May 22nd
- June 12th